Sunday, August 15, 2010

Caveat Lectores on Muslim Churches

I am having a hard time getting excited about the controversy over a Muslim church two blocks from the place where the World Trade Center used to be.

• Yes, I know 19 terrorists combined with Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda to affect jihad against the American people for occupying some Middle Eastern countries, supporting Israel and draining the natural resources from the region.
• Yes, I know about 3000 people died at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in the Pennsylvania country side that day. Many were firefighters and police officers. Most were dis-involved enough with Middle Eastern affairs to be called totally innocent.
• Yes, I know the US declared war on terror and attacked Iraq to displace Saddam Hussein who had nothing to do with the whole thing.
• Yes, I know that the site is now called “hallowed ground.”
• Yes, I know the US Constitution calls for religious freedom and restricts the government from getting mixed up in matters such as where a privately operated church can locate on private property.
• Yes, I can understand why the federal government is being cautious about getting involved.
• Yes, I am annoyed that yet another church is going to take valuable real estate off the tax rolls requiring private citizens like me who may not belong to that church to subsidize its existence.
• No, I cannot understand why ignorant people are calling the President a Muslim because he will not advocate breaking the law. (Maybe, in this one isolated instance, we could ignore the law to screw with some “ragheads.” What’s the harm?)
• No, I do not lump all Middle Easterners into the Islamic jihad mode.
• No, I have no more or less respect for Islam than Christianity, Judaism or Druidism.
• No, I do not care where Muslims decide to pray or how often or in which direction.

Yes, I am immediately fearful of anyone, other than possibly a preacher, priest, rabbi or maula who identifies himself by his religious affiliation. Whenever I encounter someone who wants me to know their religious beliefs as a part of their identity, I become cautious and make sure my wallet is firmly protected along with my religious freedom. I begin to worry about what this person will take from me because he or she will claim their God or Allah advised them it was OK. Experience has been a cruel teacher to millions victimized by someone claiming they were doing something vile in the name of a deity.

Is all this hubbub really motivated by respect for the dead or bigoted hated for the living?

BOHICA

And oh yes, have a nice Day?

Wjc

Caveat Lectores by Jeff Carnes

7312 Readers in 498 Cities, 46 States and 22 Countries
Read at your own risk.
Lectores Labor Consulting 813-240-8165
LectoresIT.com
Caveat Lectores on Facebook
Do the Lector a favor: If you like the stuff we post, share it on your Facebook profile by clicking the "Share" link under the item you like. Also, please use the "Suggest to Friends" link below our logo in the upper left corner to tell others about our Facebook page!

No comments: