The Lector thought it might be helpful to accumulate some facts and correct some fictitious facts that are being slung like oil sludge off a Pelican’s ass.
Here goes…hold on:
• Who caused this mess? British Petroleum(65% owner), Halliburton (Supplier and contractor who laid cement at the well head), Anadarko (25% owner), Cameron International, Mitsui Oil Exploration (10% owner), Transocean (owners of rig), MI Swaco (mud engineering contractor), Weatherford (Subcontractor on Deepwater Horizon), Minerals and Management Service. (Federal Agency responsible for oversight) and each one of us who was so interested in cheap gasoline for our death buggies that we did not question what could happen if, after drilling a hole in the bottom of the pool, there might be a leak. WE ARE SCREWED. Even after we decide who is responsible, they will never pay the total cost. Are you nutz? This will never be fixed as if it did not happen. And there will be less gasoline for us to buy cheaply. WE ARE SCREWED.
• How big is the oil spill? First of all, it is not a leak or spill. Since we do not normally buy oil in barrels, let’s put this in terms we can understand. The fucking hole has gushed about two gazillion* quarts of oil every day since some idiot forgot to put the stopper in the hole. WE ARE SCREWED. Nobody knows how to fix it or they would have done so. You can blame whoever you wish, but WE ARE SCREWED.
Here is some interesting information I found while doing research to see how bad the gusher really is. It does not have anything to do with the gusher, but gives some information on much of the bullshit we have been ingesting for the last 40 years.**
• From 1970 to 2008, domestic oil production has consistently dwindled from 11.3 million barrels per day to 6.73.
• From 1970 to 2008, gross imports increased from 3.42 million barrels per day to 12.92.
• From 1970 to 2008, domestic oil exports increased from .26 million barrel per day to 1.80.
What this means is that in 2008, oil producing corporations exported 28% of the oil they extracted from our oil reserves. In 1970, the amount exported was 2.3%. These companies have been selling our crude oil on the world market because the price was high and they could get away with it. Who lets them get away with it? WE DO.
The rePuPlicans, Tea Baggers, Palinites and other hypocrital patriots, who wrap themselves in the American flag, want to Drill Baby Drill in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska and other environmentally sensitive lands so their friends can sell our oil on the open market. Imagine that.
Who is the biggest shareholder of BP? It is hard to tell because so many stockholders have been selling off the stock, but Calpers, the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and Ohio Public Employees Retirement System have retained their holdings even with the huge losses. Remember, these public pension funds are wanting to self destruct because of losses they cannot afford to makeup. BOHICA
Maybe I am just cynical. The energy corporations are really my friends and I have it all wrong.
*A gazillion is 48 million shit loads measured in dookygrams.
** Bureau of Transportation Statistics: Overview of U.S. Petroleum Production. Look it up if you do not believe me.
And oh yes, Have a nice Day?
Caveat Lectores by Jeff Carnes
600 Readers in 390 Cities, 41 States and 15 Countries
Read at your own risk.
You may learn something you did not want to know
about political and labor relations complications that affect ALL
Public Employees: Firefighters, Paramedics, Law Enforcement,
General Employees and Teachers.
Lectores Labor Consulting 813-240-8165
Caveat Lectores on Facebook