Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Caveat Lectores on Progressives

OK, Caveat Lectores is written by an idiot. Democratic and liberal had become shop worn; so I adopted “progressive” as my political moniker. I thought it was perfectly all right to think progressively. I was proud to adopt progressive ideas. Wow is all I can say. That Glenn Beck guy really has it all together. I thought progressivism was a political attitude favoring or advocating change and reform, as needed. How could I have been so wrong?

http://www.aolnews.com/the-point/article/critics-say-glenn-beck-incites-violence-against-progressives/19377910

The above web address takes you to a news piece about Mr. Beck that includes some compiled video clips that are disturbing; however, I think I will still sleep peacefully tonight. He did seem to be calling me a fascist because of my progressive thoughts. Hmmmm. I took that personally.

According to the Internet quick reference guide of the Ages, Wikipedia:

The term "progressive" is today often used in place of "liberal". Although the two are related in some ways, they are separate and distinct political ideologies. According to John Halpin, senior advisor on the staff of the Center for American Progress, "Progressivism is an orientation towards politics; it's not a long-standing ideology like liberalism, but an historically-grounded concept... that accepts the world as dynamic." Progressives see progressivism as an attitude towards the world of politics that is broader than conservatism vs. liberalism, and as an attempt to break free from what they consider to be a false and divisive dichotomy.
Cultural Liberalism is ultimately founded on a concept of
natural rights and civil liberties, and the belief that the major purpose of the government is to protect those rights. Liberals are often called "left-wing", as opposed to "right-wing" conservatives. The progressive school, as a unique branch of contemporary political thought, tends to advocate certain center-left or left-wing views that may conflict with mainstream liberal views, despite the fact that modern liberalism and progressivism may still both support many of the same policies (such as the concept of war as a general last resort).
American progressives tend to support interventionist economics: they advocate
progressive taxation and oppose the growing influence of corporations.

It looks like Glenn Beck and the Tea Baggers have decided to make what I thought was a reasonably respectable word vile to those who never bother to listen to anything more than the bullshit they serve up to an uninformed public.

After listening to the video clip, I am in a quandary. Should I join up with Beck, O’Reilly, Limbaugh and the Tea Baggers, or should I stand my ground and admit that I feel much more like other progressive politicians such as Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Lyndon B. Johnson? In this case, I think I will feel a little more intellectually safe with those guys by saying screw you to the Tea Baggers and Glenn Beck.

And Oh yes, Have a nice day?

wjc

Caveat Lectores by Jeff Carnes
Readers in 171 cities in 35 states and 12 countriesRead at your own risk. You may learn something you did not want to know.Commentary pieces concerning the political and labor relationscomplications that affect ALL public employees: Firefighters, Paramedics, Law Enforcement, General Employees and Teachers.
Lectores Labor Consulting 813-240-8165
LectoresIT.com
Caveat Lectores

1 comment:

Jeff Carnes said...

Testing comments section

wjc