Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Caveat Lectores On Gun Control

6-18-14

I am gonna weigh-in on “gun control.”  I know it will solve nothing, but the stress I am suffering from watching the right and left act like idiots may be somewhat relieved.

When I read about “open carry” laws. I wince because I did not know it could be illegal to openly carry a gun you legally own.  It never occurred to me that it was anything but childish nonsense to walk around with a gun strapped to my hip or sling over my shoulder unless I was hunting or target shooting.  I gave up walking around with toy guns very early in life.  Real guns were for shooting not prancing.

I found out that my grandfather, a former law enforcement officer, had carried an S&W pistol concealed in his pocket for many years.  And oh yes, we used to have a KKK poobah come into the grocery store where I worked with a gun strapped around his belly so he could intimidate the black kids.

Much of my life has been spent with a gun of one type or another only a step away.  We were a family of occasional hunters, and you need a gun to hunt.  My grandfather was former law enforcement and an avid hunter.  Guns and more guns.  In my early twenties, I started trapshooting.  Most of MY guns have been shotguns with a couple of rifles and pistols thrown in.
During most of my early years of being a “gun nut,” I actively read various NRA publications as well as others because I was “studying” about guns.   It was a pseudo academic exercise that was a cover for my love of guns.  Joining the NRA never felt like a good thing to do because of the even then paranoid ranting that “they” were determine to take away our guns.  They meant the g’ment.  Then in 1968, the GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968 became law.  That pretty much put an end to my buying or selling guns from the trunk of a car.  I needed a federal firearms license even as an amateur arms dealer.
http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/zimring68.htm  is an interesting site regarding a real legal treatise on the actual state of the law in 1975.  I am not sure about the law since because I neither buy nor sell arms for personal use or otherwise.

Deep down inside I am to some extent controlled by my prior life being close to firearms and the NRA hysteria.  I gave up all the "gun fun" when I sold my beautiful Model 12 Winchester Pigeon Grade trap gun http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winchester-Model-12-Shotguns.cfm?cat_id=698 to finance a divorce in 1974 and tried to never look back.

Stay tuned…more to come.

And oh yes, have a nice Day?

Wjc
Caveat Lectores by Jeff Carnes
Read at your own risk.
Closing in on 14,000 Readers in 621 Cities, 46 States and 26 Countries

Lectores Labor Consulting 813-240-8165
LectoresLaborConsulting.com

Caveat Lectores on Facebook

Do the Lector a favor: If you like the stuff we post, share it on your Facebook profile by clicking the "Share" link under the item you like. Also, please use the "Suggest to Friends" link below our logo in the upper left corner to tell others about our Facebook page!

No comments: